The early story of the Church of the Incarnation is in great part the history and ministry of Bishop Alexander Charles Garrett who arrived in Dallas on December 31, 1874. With his foresight and financial gift of $350 to purchase a lot for the chapel, Church of the Incarnation was born.
It was originally located on the corner of McKinney and Harwood, far north of Dallas’ business and residential community, and in 1897, the Mission Church became a full-fledged parish of the Diocese of Dallas.
Under the leadership of its dedicated rectors and many devoted members, the church grew in size and service to the community. In 1902, Incarnation dedicated the first brick building that was used for the next 25 years until the church moved to a new building further north on McKinney called the Memorial Chapel that is still in regular use. The church that stands today was dedicated in 1954.
The more than 130-year history of Church of the Incarnation is a remarkable record of faithful response to God’s call. Decade after decade, the people of Incarnation have remained committed to serve God as a community of disciples by honoring the tradition of our worship, raising up leaders for the renewal of the Church, growing deeper in our relationship with Christ, and caring for the poor. One of the greatest tools for that mission is the physical space in which we worship and teach. It was evident that we needed to expand our campus to embrace our future.
In December 2015, we opened the doors to a welcome center, an education facility, and new contemporary worship space, Ascension Chapel. At the same time, we opened a two-story outreach center at 4061 Central Expressway, located at the far northeast end of the campus. The upstairs provides offices and much needed work and storage space for our Mission & Outreach team. The bottom level is utilized by Incarnation House – a drop-in center dedicated to serving the needs of high school students living in transition due to neglect, abuse, or homelessness.
The modest brick chapel has become a 7-acre campus dedicated to serving God’s people. We would love the opportunity to serve with you. Please join us for one of our seven worship services on Sunday.